Holiday Sewing

The end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019 was super busy in a good way.  Everyone was home and under one roof and I was loving every minute of it!  In the last year or two, we have been participating in 5K fun runs as a family.  The latest was a Santa Run.  When you register you can purchase a Santa suit to run the race in.  Of course we didn’t do that!!

I went to JoAnns, and with the help of one of my daughters picked this fun dog santa fabric.  I made 4 skirts, 4 pairs of shorts and 3 scrunchies (my hair is too short for a scrunchie!) to run the race in.

It turned out that my oldest son had to work, but the rest of us ran the race.  I just realized that I am not in this before picture!img_4922

Here we are just before the start of the race.  During the race it was pouring!!  We were all soaked through, but we had sooo much fun!img_4928

And we got this cute little medal at the end!  Just for finishing!


I read the Sourdough by Robin Sloan a couple of months ago and was intrigued and inspired to try to make a starter.  With the holidays coming up though I thought I would wait until New Year to get it going.img_5082

I started out purchasing these two crocks as I wanted to make an Amish Friendship Bread starter as well.img_5127

This was my sourdough starter a few days in.

The first thing I tried when the starter was ready was bread.  It was super easy to make – you just mix the starter with a few things and leave it on the counter.  The bread tastes fantastic!!

The next thing I wanted to try were waffles.  This requires an “overnight sponge” which is also easy and save a huge amount of time in the morning because there is nothing to mix up.  It’s ready when you are and you can just spoon the batter into the waffle maker.  Another success!!

The last thing I have made so far with the starter is homemade pizza crust.  Every Friday (this is from last Friday) we have pizza and watch a movie as a family.  Everyone had so much fun gathered around the table making their crusts and then loading them with the things they wanted, that there has been a request to have homemade pizza every Friday instead of store bought.

The only thing I have had to really stay on top of is planning.  If I want to have bread at dinner, I need to start dough rising early afternoon.  If we want to have waffles, I need to prepare the overnight sponge the night before.  Really though, it’s so much fun!!  I have yet to hear my starter sing like in the book, but when the kitchen is quiet I can hear the bubbles popping.  Such a success!

Plastic Crochet Tote

I’m at it again!!  I had more plastic bags from bread, TP, and other things that I have been saving.  img_5186

Here it is!  This one is different from the others that I have done as this one has a rectangular base.  I like this much more as it is easier to pack.img_5188

It looks on the smaller side, but it actually holds quite a bit.img_5187

I liked it so much I started a new one!!

Linking up with Hookin on Hump Day over at Petals to Picots!

Scrap Happy Day!

I love using up scraps and Kate of Tall Tales from Chiconia hosts a monthly Scrap Happy Day so that we can share a project we are working on that is made from scraps.  I’m sharing my ticker tape quilt (Crazy Mom Quilts).  This is where I was last time,

I’m also linking to Monday Making and Main Crush Monday today.

Christmas Stockings

I meant to share these yesterday as part of the SAL but I completely forgot.  I stitched these a few years ago.  Each one took me a little over a year (mostly because I got distracted and worked on other projects – kind of like the current one I’m working on!)img_4899

This one was made for my oldest child.img_4898

This one is for the second one.  I simply love these stockings!!  I have purchased the kits for all the rest of our kids as well as for my husband and I.  Good thing I like stitching them!

Sal Update – January

I always love the New Year.  It’s always so full of hope and excitement.  New Year’s resolutions have never really been my thing as I tend to make little adjustments and goals throughout the year for things that I feel are important to me and our family.  That being said, I have decided to try to provide more home (completely from scratch) meals this year.  I know that requires more planning and forethought, but I think I am up to the task!

Now, on to the real meat of this post!!  I have been stitching!  This is where I was last timeimg_4816

and this is where I am now…img_5156

Here is the closeup of Santa’s face…img_5157

I am completely thrilled to have the face done except for the back stitching!!

This SAL has really  been a great thing for me.  The stitchers involved are soooo supportive and creative.  I like that I was able to choose my own project to finish and I am thankful for the three week checkin as it keeps this project at the forefront of my mind!  If you have a chance, please take a look at their work – it is totally awe inspiring!

AvisClaireGunCaroleLucyAnnKateJessSueConstanzeDebbieroseChristinaKathyMargaretCindyHelen,StephLindaHeidiJackieSunnyHayleyMeganCatherineDeborahConnieClare, Mary MargaretReneeJenny

I am also linking up with Kathy at Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Stitch Sunday.

Also linking to Kate’s Life in Pieces — I was able to stitch at least 15 minutes a day each of the last 7 days!!  WOOHOO!

SAL Update


Due to copious amounts of Christmas gift finishes there has not been any work done on the stocking, but I am sure that the others participating in this SAL were able to get some work done on theirs – this is an amazing group of stitchers!

Please take a look at what they are doing: