Ta Daa! Second Time Around

So… I was so excited to finish Ty’s sweater.  It was exactly as he wanted it down to the extra long sleeves to cover his hands while he was riding his bike to school in the morning.  The mornings can be a little cold for his fingers.  I blogged about that Ta Da here:

https://stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/ta-daa/  The final pictures were taken right before he left for school that day.  He came home that afternoon as usual and nothing appeared out of whack.  UNTIL….the next morning when he wouldn’t put on the sweater.  Hmmm.  I asked him about it and he finally told me that I had been right and the sleeves were too long for him.  The sweater was uncomfortable.  ACK!!!  I knew this was going to happen, but I made it to order anyway.  I let the sweater sit in time out for a couple of days and then started the arduous task of taking it apart.

Taking out the underarm seams.

Taking out the underarm seams.

The first step was to take out the underarm seam.  I sewed this together under the arm from wrist to waist.  I only undid the seam to just below where the sleeve attached to the sweater.  Then of course I needed to take out the seam attaching the sleeve to the sweater.  I did this to both sides.

One sleeve separated from the sweater.

One sleeve separated from the sweater.

While waiting outside of an Oboe lessons for K, I took the sleeve off the sweater.

First sleeve totally off.  Time to do more measuring!

First sleeve totally off. Time to do more measuring!

After the first sleeve was removed, I had Ty try it on and we measured how long the sleeve “should” be.  I measured several times just to make sure!

Getting "live" stitches back from a cast off edge.

Getting “live” stitches back from a cast off edge.

It took a little bit of doing, but the cast off edge was finally back on the needles.  I’m not quite sure why I did it this way.  I guess I was afraid that if I didn’t get it all back on the needles, the sleeve would start unraveling unevenly.

Live stitches waiting to be ripped out.

Live stitches waiting to be ripped out.

5 1/2 inches of ripping to be done.

5 1/2 inches of ripping to be done.

We needed to rip and rip and rip back a total of 5 1/2 inches.

Some of the yarn that was "un-knit".

Some of the yarn that was “un-knit”.

As the sleeve was ripped back, I rolled the yarn into balls.  I can use it for something else.

Both sleeves detached.

Both sleeves detached.

Such a sad sight indeed!

2nd "Ta Daa" moment!

2nd “Ta Daa” moment!

I guess the 2nd time around is a charm this time!  He totally loves it and check out that sleeve length – Just Right!

The sweater visiting the beach :o)

The sweater visiting the beach :o)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s