The vest in question is for J (he’s 8) and his specifications were very exact – he wanted a vest that fell below the waist, had a hood and a pocket, and it had to be “soft”. I started it right after I finished Ty’s sweater.
For this project, I did make a swatch. I substituted a thicker yarn than called for. J picked everything out himself!
Over the December holidays we went to San Francisco and Monterey so there was plenty of time in the car to knit. I knit both the front and the back of this vest at the same time. It was a little tricky when it came to the split in the front, but it seemed to work out well.
After the front and back were finished, the arm bands were added. I really like the darker green as a contrast to the variegated.
I had attached both armbands and knit up the hood before I realized there was a mistake in the front. If you look closely at the neckline, you can see that the right side of the garment has no neckline curve – it just attaches to the shoulder seam at the placket – while the left side of the garment has been done correctly. ACK!!
Off came the armband and out came the shoulder seam. This is where I discovered that the mistake was not quite as bad as I had thought. I thought I had not knit enough rows to make the neckline curve, but I had just sewed the vest together wrong. WHEW!! What could have been a many day fix was now just a couple of hours.
The vest in all it’s glory! We went to the beach the very next day after this vest was finished and J wanted to wear it. He hasn’t taken it off yet!
That pocket is his most favorite thing about the vest. The hood runs a really close second. It makes me so happy to see my kids wearing the things I made them!