EGA Nametag

I joined my local chapter of the Embroidery Guild.  Once you join, you are asked to make a name tag.  They give you all the supplies and you are supposed to get it done within three months.  Not too hard of a task!IMG_0965

This is the start of mine.  The back ground was left blank in the instructions, but I thought it looked too bare so I picked some thread from the box and added it in.  Hopefully I can finish before our next meeting.


This year my tomato plants are very prolific.  Everyday we get lots and lots of them.  Even with the wildlife (squirrels and rats) eating well, we are able to salvage quite a few.  These are the ones from yesterday.


These are just the ones the kids didn’t eat before I got to them!

There is really no way we can eat all the tomatoes that are coming off the vines.  I didn’t want to waste any so I started preparing them to freeze.  Later this winter I can make some really yummy spaghetti sauce with them.


After they have been boiled.

First I wash the tomatoes and pull out the stems.  Then I place them in boiling water for about 2 minutes (until the skins start to split).  After the skins split, they go into a bath of ice water.


Ready to freeze.

Once the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, the skins slip right off them.  I cut out the core and then quarter them and halve the quarters.  That is what you see in the above picture.


This will make just about enough for one meal. Most likely, I will use two of these bags to make sure I have enough.

One bowl of prepared tomatoes makes one bag ready for the freezer to cook up later.  Yum!

SAL Stocking Progress

I am coming in right under the wire tonight!!  For the SAL that I am participating in, we need to post an update on a specific project once every three weeks.  Today is the day!  I did make progress during the past three weeks, but not as much as I would like.  Here is where I’m at now:IMG_1020

I did a little more of the background a part of the lettering.  Below is where I was three weeks ago.IMG_0824

I am linking up with these other fabulously talented stitchers so if you get a chance take a look at their work as well:

Avis,ClaireGunCaroleLucyAnnKateJessSueConstanzeDebbieroseChristina,KathyMargaretCindyHelenStephLindaCatherineMary MargaretTimothyHeidi,Connie

Road Trip

On our way for an impromptu camping trip.  Camping is so much fun!!!  Traffic getting to our site; however, was not such great fun.  Good thing I brought my entertainment.

Dubline Cardigan #2

Sweater progress for another daughter.  This Knit Picks Swish Worsted is really a dream to knit with – it is so soft and is not splitty at all.

Pumpkin Bread

The kids all started school this week and I wanted to make some bread to pack in their lunches.


Two of three loaves of pumpkin bread.

These are just out of the oven yesterday morning…


The first of three loaves of pumpkin bread.

This was part of breakfast and I packed some in each lunch bag.  After school they came home and devoured the rest.  I guess I need to make some more today!

Protein Rich Corn Bread

We have three chickens and I am always looking for different things to feed them for their health.  Sometimes I make a mash with oatmeal, cranberries, dried worms and garlic powder which they love.  Recently I saw a corn bread recipe on a blog (I should have written the address down!) for chickens and decided to try it out.


Protein Rich Corn Bread

I used the recipe on the bag of corn meal, but substituted plain yogurt for the milk and added 1/4C of flaxseed, 1/4C crushed cashews and 1/2C of dried blueberries.  This bread is very dense and was intended for my chickens.  I made it two nights ago and left it on the counter to cool.  Well…before I could give it to the chickens, three of my kids cut pieces and declared it delicious!  I did give one little piece to the chickens and they like it as well.  HAhaha!!  My oldest daughter wants me to make more because she likes it as a snack at work.  Haha again!

Dinner Last Night

Dinner last night pleased everyone!!  It is not very often that I hit a home run like that with seven people to feed.


Vegetable Medley-Chicken Hand Pies

These are a really good, quick meal.  I used left over chicken from dinner the previous night, frozen vegetables from the freezer, and buttermilk biscuits.  All you do is cut the biscuits in half through the middle so you have two rounds, lightly roll them out and place the chicken and veges in the center of the bottom one.  Place the top round over and seal.  Then bake.  Easy Peasy and apparently a win.


Caramel-Stuffed Monkey Bread

These were incredibly delicious.  This picture was taken before they were drizzled with both fudge and caramel ice cream topping.  They have little Rolo candies inside of them are are cooked in the slow-cooker.  The recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications Slow Cooker Spring Fresh magazine that I picked up at Costco.  I am a huge sucker for cooking and baking magazines!