The embroidery guild I belong to will be starting a pulled thread sampler offered by Kathrin called the 16 square pulled thread sampler. The program will start this Tuesday so I thought I would get a head start. I printed the pattern for the sampler and the border and got started. And promptly ran into trouble.
This is using Laguna 25ct linen. At first glance, on the pattern for the border, it appeared that everything was over one thread. I love the way the pattern looked, but was not so keen on how this was turning out. After getting to this point, I realized something was wrong. There are not enough threads in the middle of the square to complete the pulled thread portion of the pattern. I started doing some counting on the pattern and for the pulled thread patterns you need 36 threads, I have 23 threads. UGH! At this point I went terribly wrong. I assumed the pattern was incorrect and decided to draw out a new pattern with border changes to accommodate the 36 threads in the center square.
In this attempt, I now have 37 stitches in the middle and the border is not balanced with the pulled thread portion. Then I went to my EGA meeting (on zoom) and asked all my questions. Those women are amazing!! They are so supportive and really helped me to figure out what was going on without making me feel like an idiot.
I now know where I went wrong. The pattern for the satin stitch and the pulled thread are indeed over one thread. Everything else is over two threads. If I had been paying close attention to the pattern I would have seen this. Oh, well. This was a good learning experience. The downside is that I don’t have enough fabric to actually make the sampler now so I have ordered new fabric and am waiting for it to arrive. It won’t be here by Tuesday, but that’s ok. An upside is that I now have this doodle cloth and will practice the pulled thread patterns on it until I get them right! Sometimes I feel as if I learn way more from my mistakes!
Today I am linking up with Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching.