Myself and a friend have been renting space at the glass workshop to make beads about once a week. We are having a great time!
None of the beads come out looking like I think they will, but I like them anyway.
This one was fun. I had a bead that exploded into pieces in the annealer. I really liked the color of that bead so I decided to try to add it to the bead I was currently making. I added new glass go the mandril, and while the glass was molten, I pressed the pieces of the broken bead into it. Then I heated everything up and reformed the glass into a bead shape. This might be my favorite bead so far.
I’d like to try to make smaller, thinner beads that I can use in my tambour embroidery.
Last week I took a week long, all day class at the San Francisco School of Needlework and Design. The class was taught by Bob Haven. He is such a fantastic teacher!! I have dabbled in tambour and took not one but two classes. I have always fought with the hook – I’ve not been able to get it out of the fabric with out tearing threads or ripping the fabric. My only goal in taking this class was to master the hook! Well, I have done that!!! I can get it out of the fabric easily (it still gets stuck once in awhile, but I can fix it without damaging the fabric) and add beads, sequins, etc.
We first practiced the chain stitch in straight lines, curved lines and around corners. We used sewing thread, cotton embroidery floss and rayon – the rayon was a bear and kept fraying, but eventually I got the hang of it.
This little practice area covered quite a bit of information. The gold “squiggly” lines you see underneath the fabric is chain work done in vermicelli (every stitch goes a different direction), the middle is beadwork done in vermicelli and then we chose fabric to overlay over all that. The stitching you see is first a chain stitch around the shape, then a zig zag stitch (to prevent fraying), then we cut off the extra fabric.
Once the appliqué fabric was attached and secure, we added beads. We could add them any way we wanted, but since Bob had just demonstrated adding beads using the stem stitch, I had to try that. The beads you see close to the bottom just look like jumbled beads – Bob said to add more beads to each stitch – once I did that, it worked out much better. You can see how the beaded stem stitch looks much better on the right side of the circle.
Basket weave stitch. I really have to work on getting my stitches to end (and start) at the same place. Those little indents you see are supposed to be vertical lines not kind of wobbly lines.
We worked on shading, not great but I’m happy with my first try.
Bob showed us the stem stitch using two colors of beads. Of course I had to try it. Two spools of thread each with their own color of beads, have to be used. It’s a little fiddly but I really like the effect. This tiny little line of two color, beaded stem stitch took me all morning (like 2.5 hours!). The student next to me went on to make a line of three color, beaded stem stitch which I will try at some point.
Then it was on to sequins. The fun thing about this is that we learned how to end the circle in such a way that no one can see it. All the sequins are laying next to each other and the end is not visible. Magic!
Next up was applying sequins around a corner, making a “sharp” corner. I still need to work on this technique, but you can definitely see that there is a corner there. Then came bugle beads. These are a bit tricky because the ends are sharp and can cut the thread if not applied carefully. This is my attempt at a straight line and a corner in bugle beads.
And last, but not least was stitching the bugle beads down in such a way as to make them stand up. It’s not hard and now the ideas running through my head are non-stop.
I have a ton of homework to finish and am really looking forward to practicing. This was Level 1 of Tambour and I have already signed up for Level 2. I can’t wait!
I have been wanting to try this embroidery method for a long time. I discovered it while looking through Pinterest years ago, but never actually did anything. The embroidery guild I belong to ran a Chicken Scratch embroidery program a couple of weeks ago and I signed up.
This heart was my first try and what we did at the program. This method of stitching is really easy and really only made up of straight stitches, cross stitches, and a little bit of needle weaving.
This was my next pattern. We were given a packet of information and this was in it. This took me quite awhile as I am a slow stitcher, but it is really enjoyable.
This was the last pattern in our packet and was super fun to stitch. I can see more of this in my future!