Another Beekeeper Quilt Update

OK…so the last time I wrote about this project, I was going to think about ways to make is easier to embellish them.  The hexi puff is knit like the toe of a sock, both the front and the back grow at the same time and are connected so that when done, the hexi just needs to be stuffed and sewn up at the top.  The small opening is one of the reasons embellishing is so time consuming and challenging.  I am trying a different approach…

IMG_1151

Knit single sided and currently being blocked.

I decided to knit the front and the back separately.  This will make it so I have to sew them up (UGH!), but I believe that adding embroidery to them will be easier.  I found this book…

IMG_1163

This is a beautiful book!

and was so inspired to try out some of these on my hexis…

IMG_1164

People!

I’d like to do a hexi for each one!  And…

IMG_1165

Flowers!

And flowers!  There are pages and pages of these (and I have ideas of my own now as well).  There are also pages of birds – Oh, My!!!  This should keep me busy and out of trouble for quite awhile!

Beekeeper Quilt Update

I really like knitting these hexi puffs!  I’m not so into just the regular ones anymore.  I kind of really like making “special” ones…

IMG_1161

Octopus

This one is pretty cool (although it only has 4 legs) and the construction was cool as well.  I can see making a few more of these in different colors.

IMG_1162

More crochet and duplicate stitch.

These are more hexis with crochet embellishment and duplicate stitch embellishment.  The duplicate stitch is a little fiddly as getting my fingers inside that little thing is sometimes a challenge.  I’m going to think about ways to make that easier.

Beekeeper Quilt

A few years ago, in most of my knitting groups online, quite a few people were making the Beekeeper Quilt.  I held off for awhile, but I couldn’t help myself I had to join in.  I started making cute little “hexi puffs” as they were called.  Time went on and I started joining them together…

IMG_1152

Beekeeper quilt.

I used sock yarn, ends from weaving dish towels, some fancier yarns and then, after many, many hexis…

IMG_1158

Pile ‘o hexis.

I decided to start embellishing them…

IMG_1154

Crochet flower.

I found some fun crochet patterns, crocheted them separately and then sewed them on.

IMG_1155

Color work knitting.

I tried adding colorwork to the knitting of the hexi.  I liked this a lot and made a few like this.

IMG_1156

Duplicate stitch.

I did some with duplicate stitch.

IMG_1157

Cotton ends from the loom from a set of dish towels.

I used ends from the loom…

IMG_1159

Sock yarn with eyelash yarn.

I made some wild ones.

IMG_1153

Love this!

I made hexis in groups to create one big picture hexi.  This is one of my favorite ones!

IMG_1160

In a row.

I tried knitting them all connected together.  This was kind of fun, no sewing the ends together, but it limits the choices in the end when putting it all together.  I made two of these while standing in line at Disneyland but won’t be making any more like this.  I like being able to place each hexi individually.  I have picked this project up again and will be working on more hexis.  I have some new ideas…!