The above photo is the way it SHOULD look. The first time through, I made an error on row 4 (this is a 4 row repeat) so all my cables went the same way instead of crossing over each other. I ripped down to the brim and restarted and all was well.
He picked the pattern and the yarn and is totally thrilled with it. This pattern was a little bit of a stretch for me. While I can crochet, I have never done cables in crochet (knitted cables, yes) but the pattern was well written and being able to follow along with her video was great. My son is in the process of picking another pattern – I can’t wait to see what it will be.
A friend of mine told me about Bloom Handmade. They teach some pretty cool classes. I signed up for this one:
This just looks like so much fun!! I really love embroidery and I find crochet to be really relaxing. This is a combination of both worlds! I had some homework to do:
I had to make these four coasters in preparation for the class. I used an “F” crochet hook. For three of them I used Peaches & Cream Cotton in color way #4 Ecru, and the last one I used Sugar ‘n Cream Cotton in color way #01004 Soft Ecru. The actual colors of the cloths are not as different as they appear in the photo. I can’t wait for class!!
Bobble/Puff Stitch – 2nd block for the 50 stitches CAL.
Observations of this stitch:
*I found making the bobbles in crochet to be much easier than in knit as I didn’t have to keep turning the piece front to back and visa versa.
*I did not care for carrying the yarn from bobble to bobble as I could see the carried thread through the other stitches.
Carrying thread visible
*One of the other member of the 50 stitches FB group recommended cutting the yarn for every bobble. This appealed to me as there were no visible threads and I thought it looked much better from the front.
*However … that left a boat load of ends to weave in. Definitely NOT fun.
Stack of yarn ends.
I know this doesn’t look like very much, but it took about 2 hours to weave in all the ends.
Back after ends woven in.
Ahhh … much better. All in all this was a fun experiment and I love learning new to me stitches especially in crochet where I am not as fluent as in knitting. I LOVE the look of the different color bobbles against the solid background. I’m not sure I’ll do this again. Maybe if I had committed to weaving the ends in as I went, it would have been better!
I also found out about the 50 stitches CAL from The Cool Crochet Society FB page. What a group of talented crocheters! Kelly is hosting this CAL so that we (the participants) have the opportunity to learn new crochet stitches (or combination of stitches). For this square, we learned the Seed/lemon Peel Stitch. This stitch is a combination of single crochet and double crochet and has a really nice look.
50 stitches CAL – #1
My block is a completely different size than it should be. I chose to use Sugar’n Cream Cotton with a size G hook. I actually really like it quite a bit, but have not decided what I will do with it. The next block we learn bobble stitches. I have never done these in crochet so am excited to learn.
Every year Moogly hosts a CAL. This year is no different! I LOVE the first square from Pinkmambo called Flower Power Square. The original pattern calls for several colors, but I decided two was enough for mine.
Moogly CAL 2020 – Block #1
This worked up VERY quickly – just a couple of hours which also included picking my colors. Lots of bpsc which I love. I don’t know if I will keep up with the CAL – It will depend upon the patterns and how much time I have, but I really liked this one.
I’m squeaking in right under the wire with my goal for the month. I just had some trouble deciding what I wanted to commit to. Finally the decision was made – the goal for the month is to finish with the tail portion of the mermaid blanket that I am making for my daughter. The final fin will be next and hopefully this will be done so it can be gifted for her birthday mid-February.
January One Month Goal-Mermaid Blanket – 55 rows complete
This is where I’m at right now – 55 rows completed out of 66 for the top portion. After that there are 10 more rows for the tail portion. I am hoping that I can complete all that by the end of January.
This Mermaid Blanket pattern by Nadia Fuad of YARNtopia can be found here.
I thought it would be fun to share my “notes” page in my projects book
Mermaid Blanket notes page
When I’m done, I’ll enter all this information into Ravelry. Wish me luck!!
It seems that lately I am mostly making samples for my summer camps and classes!
I know this guy is sort of wacky looking!! I am totally in love with him. He is my own design and I am hoping the kids in this week’s camp will want to try to make him!!
These were made from a pattern and are super simple to make. They include three different crochet stitches (DC, HDC, and SC). One camper from last week already made a pair for herself in a cream colored yarn and they were so cute!!