Cable Oops!

I have been working on a cabled sweater for one of my daughters and while it is a challenging knit, I have been really enjoying it.  Until…

img_9393

Cable turning the wrong way.

I took a look at my work and realized that one of the cables was not crossing the way it was supposed to.  ARGH!!  I tried to convince myself that it would be “OK” and no one would notice, but I couldn’t do it.

img_9396

The sweater marked where I had to pull out.

I put a double pointed needle in the place where I had to rip down to.  Just FYI…it was 11 rows down and encompassed 20 stitches.  EEEEK!!  Did I mention I had never done this before?!

img_9397

The “live” stitches before I began ripping.

I made sure that I knew exactly where I was on the cable chart before I began ripping these stitches out.

img_9398

All 11 rows ripped back.

This was really the scariest part.  All that yarn, all those stitches!!  I had very diligently erased my marks on the chart as I ripped each row out.  I also counted the live stitches each row to make sure I still had 20.

img_9399

The “live” stitches picked back up onto a double pointed needle.

I managed to get all the stitches on a needle without twisting them or letting them drop down any farther.  I am using a dpn in the same size as the rest of the knitting.

img_9400

The mess of pulled out yarn.

At first it was difficult to determine which piece of yarn to use for which row, but I soon recognized how to figure that out.  Not too hard – just don’t think about it too much!

img_9401

The half way mark.

The cable is fixed and I am at the half way mark (5 1/2 rows) to getting back to where I was before all the ripping started.

img_9402

Cables back where they should be!

WHEW!!  It is done – it only took 2 hours of intense concentration and everything is as it should be.  I learned so much from this – I always learn more from my mistakes than from anything else.  Hopefully, I won’t have to repeat this again!!

Let Them Eat Cake!

My daughter’s Freshman season of volleyball came to a close on Monday and she asked me to bake her favorite cake for a celebratory snack after their last game.

She asked for a chocolate cake with raspberries.

This cake is two layers and I tried to do a little shell around the bottom and the top of the cake for added interest and festivity.

My daughter also asked for a raspberry filling.  So I happily provided that!!  I built up a “wall” of frosting around the top edge of the bottom layer, frosted the top of the bottom layer so the jam wouldn’t make the cake soggy and poured jam onto the cake to the level of the frosting border.  Then added the second layer and finished frosting and decorating the cake.

This is the cake before the addition of the raspberries.  I waited to add them because they can sometimes “weep” and add unwanted moisture.

The side view of this cake.  I just now noticed that you can see a bit of cake through the frosting.  No worries!!  The girls did not notice and this cake was devoured in less than 10 minutes flat!

img_9198

My daughter and her team loved the look and taste of this cake!  It was the perfect end of season snack!