A failed experiment

My husband always brings me red roses on our anniversary and on my birthday.  I love them!  I love the dark red, I love the way they smell and I love that he never forgets.  I know he loves me, but this simple gesture is just so meaningful to me.  We’ve been married for 27 years now so we know it’s sticking!  I decided that I wanted to try my hand at dyeing fabric with the rose petals.

I peeled all the flower petals from the pod, put them in a pot, covered them with water and brought them to a boil.  Then I got a piece of 100% cotton fabric from my stash.

I boiled the rose petals for a couple of hours and then strained them out.  Then I put the fabric in and kept boiling the water until it boiled down.img_4696

I took it out and let it air dry and then ironed it with a super hot iron.

Then I wanted to make sure it was set and wouldn’t bleed.  Well…I can tell you that the color did not stay.  After soaking it in cool water and taking it out, the water was pink/red and the fabric was quite a bit lighter in color.img_4708

After a second soaking it looks like this.  It’s back to the drawing board to see what else I could/should have done to make sure that the color stuck.