A Vest Finally Finished!

The vest in question is for J (he’s 8) and his specifications were very exact – he wanted a vest that fell below the waist, had a hood and a pocket, and it had to be “soft”.  I started it right after I finished Ty’s sweater.

The Swatch.

The Swatch.

For this project, I did make a swatch.  I substituted a thicker yarn than called for.  J picked everything out himself!

Knitting on a car trip.

Knitting on a car trip.

Over the December holidays we went to San Francisco and Monterey so there was plenty of time in the car to knit.  I knit both the front and the back of this vest at the same time.  It was a little tricky when it came to the split in the front, but it seemed to work out well.

First armband.

First armband.

After the front and back were finished, the arm bands were added.  I really like the darker green as a contrast to the variegated.

Uh-Oh...There's a problem!

Uh-Oh…There’s a problem!

I had attached both armbands and knit up the hood before I realized there was a mistake in the front.  If you look closely at the neckline, you can see that the right side of the garment has no neckline curve – it just attaches to the shoulder seam at the placket – while the left side of the garment has been done correctly.  ACK!!  

Prepared for surgery and reconstruction.

Prepared for surgery and reconstruction.

Off came the armband and out came the shoulder seam.  This is where I discovered that the mistake was not quite as bad as I had thought.  I thought I had not knit enough rows to make the neckline curve, but I had just sewed the vest together wrong.  WHEW!!  What could have been a many day fix was now just a couple of hours.  

Finally!!

Finally!!

The vest in all it’s glory!  We went to the beach the very next day after this vest was finished and J wanted to wear it.  He hasn’t taken it off yet!

Thrilled!

Thrilled!

That pocket is his most favorite thing about the vest.  The hood runs a really close second.  It makes me so happy to see my kids wearing the things I made them!

 

Ta DAA!!!

The boy’s sweater is finally finished!!

Using his pocket.

Using his pocket.

I finally finished this sweater yesterday morning before the kids woke up.  As you can see, Ty did not want to wait one extra moment before he put it on.  I’m so relieved it fits!!!

Just the right length for him.

Just the right length for him.

The sweater is longer than usual because Ty requested that it fall below his hips.  Just more knitting for me….

LOVES the hood!

LOVES the hood!

There were two things his sweater had to have.  A hood was one of them…A pocket in the front was the other.  I think this sweater managed to cover those details :o)

Front detail.

Front detail.

I had a lot of fun with this sweater.  It is a 6 row repeat pattern and after awhile it gets very easy to remember.  I knit both the front and the back at the same time on a circular needle – it only got a little complicated for the neck shaping.  The sleeves were also knit at the same time.  To me this feels faster than knitting them one at a time – once I cast off for the sleeves, both are done.

Sleeve detail.

Sleeve detail.

For this sweater, I didn’t “continue in pattern” for the sleeve increases, I decided that I would add seed stitch to the mix.  Ty loves the new stitch on his sleeves.

Pocket.

Pocket.

Originally, this pattern did not come with a pocket – but the boy wanted a pocket, so the boy got a pocket!  It’s a good thing I like this pattern, I have requests for two more!!

Swatch for J's Vest.

Swatch for J’s Vest.

As soon as I had put the finishing touches on Ty’s sweater, it was time to knit a swatch for a vest that J wants.  Gotta go, time to cast on and knit, knit, knit!